Nurses’ Week Spotlight: Karen Mulligan
Nurses’ Week – established in honour of Florence Nightingale, the founder of modern nursing – is a longstanding tradition of celebrating the tremendous role that nurses play in every stage of a resident/patient’s healthcare journey. The COVID-19 pandemic brings to light the courage and commitment nurses bring to their profession every day.
Medical Pharmacies is entwined with nurses in all that we do, across all our lines of business, which is why our Nurses’ Week theme this year is friendship. Today, we’d like to introduce you to one of our friends in nursing, Karen Mulligan, our Mobility Sales Coordinator at OMS.
1. Why did you want to be, or what was your inspiration to become a Mobility Sales Coordinator?
To share my experience and knowledge with the Mobility sales team.
2. What has been your favorite experience at OMS?
I have so many. I call them AHA moments. Most all include making someone’s quality of life better.
3. How do you balance your career at OMS?
I eat well, sleep well, and exercise.
4. If you could interview one person (dead or alive) in the healthcare industry, who would it be and why?
Marie Curie – winner of two Nobel prizes, one in chemistry and one in physics. I would love to ask her questions around why a woman in the early 1900s chose her career path. What motivated her?
5. Which has been more valuable in your career, your education or your experience? Why?
My education as a nurse. It has provided me with opportunities in the Middle East, as well as with jobs in many multinational companies.
6. How do you motivate yourself and your team during COVID? What workplace challenges have you faced during COVID, and how did you overcome them?
How we do business has changed. Every day something changes. How we respond to ensure positive outcomes will make OMS successful, including sharing knowledge and best practices with our clinicians in this very different time.
7. What advice do you wish someone gave you early in your career?
DO YOUR MBA!!!!